Families of women who died from Yaz birth control pills are encouraged to file a Yaz wrongful death lawsuit. Many side effects of Yaz can cause death, including blood clots, deep vein thrombosis, heart attack, stroke, pulmonary embolism, venous thromboembolism, hyperkalemia, and more. If your loved one was the victim of Yaz, you are not alone. Bayer is facing thousands of lawsuits regarding Yaz, including dozens of Yaz wrongful death lawsuits.
What You Can Do & How a Yaz Wrongful Death Lawsuit Can Help
The Schmidt Firm, LLP is currently accepting Yaz wrongful death cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been injured by Yaz birth control, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Yaz Litigation Group or call us toll-free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
The problem with Yaz birth control comes from drospirenone, an ingredient that has been associated with as much as a three-fold increased risk of blood clots. What Yaz was initially advertised, it was promoted as a safe, more effective birth control with added “quality of life” benefits — including treating acne and symptoms of PMS. The ad campaign for Yaz was quickly criticized by the FDA as “misleading,” but by the time Bayer ran a corrective ad campaign and the public became aware of the deadly side effects of Yaz, millions of women had exposed themselves to the danger. Thousands were injured, and many women have died.
Yaz Wrongful Death
If your family member died from side effects of Yaz, you may wish to seek justice and financial compensation by filing a Yaz wrongful death lawsuit. Bayer faces at least 50 such wrongful death lawsuits, brought by family members of women who died from side effects of Yaz. Many of these women were young, healthy, and had no risk factors for side effects. Some women were as young as 17 years old. Deaths have been caused by cardiac arrest, pulmonary embolism, and stroke, with hyperkalemia (toxic high levels of potassium in the bloodstream) being a common complication.
Side Effects of Yaz
Many side effects of Yaz have the potential to cause severe injury or death. Although the risks of drospirenone have been known since 2002 (when Yasmin was first introduced on the U.S. market), many women were unaware of the risk before they decided to take Yaz. This is because the early advertisements failed to communicate any risk information.
Life-threatening side effects of Yaz include:
- Hyperkalemia: The hormones in Yaz can throw off the intracellular/extracellular balance of potassium, causing too much potassium in the bloodstream. This increases the risk of developing blood clots, and also the risk of a sudden, severe irregular heartbeat that causes cardiac arrest.
- Blood clots: Yaz may triple a woman’s risk of a blood clot compared to other birth control pills. These blood clots tend to form spontaneously, and there is a risk that they can cause stroke, heart attack, and pulmonary embolism.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT): This is the name of the syndrome in which blood clots form in the calves, thigh, pelvis, or upper arm. Around half of DVT blood clots in the thigh cause pulmonary embolisms.
- Pulmonary Embolism: When a blood clot that forms due to DVT travels to the lungs, obstructs a blood vessel, and causes lung damage. If the obstruction is large, it can cause cardiac arrest.
- Cardiac Arrest: This occurs when the heart is unable to pump blood into the body, either because it cannot beat effectively, or because it is too weak to force blood into the lungs during a massive pulmonary embolism.
- Heart attack: This occurs when a blood clot blocks a coronary artery that supplies the heart muscle with blood. Heart tissue can be severely damaged, leading to heart failure.
- Ischemic stroke: This occurs when a blood clot that forms in an artery is pumped into the brain, where it obstructs a major blood vessel and causes severe brain damage. Even small blood clots can initiate a cascading series of events that results in life-threatening brain damage.
Do I have a Yaz Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, LLP is currently accepting Yaz wrongful death cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been injured by Yaz birth control pills, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Yaz Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.
Free Case Evaluation
The Schmidt Firm, LLP has been recognized as one of the nation's leading plaintiff's law firms and handles cases in all 50 states. We are very proud of our legal achievements, but equally self-respecting of our firms reputation for providing personal attention to each and every client we represent.
No matter what type of case you have, you may contact us with confidence by filling out the email contact form below or calling us directly by dialing toll free 24 hrs/day (866) 920-0753.