Benicar is a blood-pressure drug that has been linked to many side effects, including sprue-like enteropathy. This condition causes chronic diarrhea, severe weight loss, and intestinal damage that can cause permanent malnutrition.
What You Can Do & How We Can Help
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Benicar induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know was diagnosed with sprue-like enteropathy, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Defective Drug Litigation Group or call us toll-free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
FDA Warnings for Benicar Side Effects
The FDA has issued safety warnings about two types of serious Benicar side effects:
- Cardiovascular side effects: FDA published a Drug Safety Communication in June 2010 after two clinical trials, ROADMAP and ORIENT, linked Benicar to 25 deaths involving heart attack or stroke, compared to just 6 deaths in patients on a placebo. All of the patients had type-2 diabetes.
- Gastrointestinal side effects: FDA published a Safety Communication after receiving 23 reports of sprue-like enteropathy (chronic diarrhea and weight-loss) associated with Benicar. Over time, enteropathy can cause intestinal villous atrophy, which is a type of permanent intestinal damage that occurs when inflammation erodes away villi on the intestinal wall.
List of Severe Side Effects of Benicar
- Sprue-like enteropathy
- Chronic diarrhea
- Nausea and vomiting
- Colon swelling and inflammation (colitis)
- Intestinal villous atrophy
- Intestinal damage
- Problems digesting and absorbing food
- Low blood pressure
- Kidney disease
- Swelling in the feet or hands
- Electrolyte imbalances (sodium and potassium)
- Allergic reaction
- Vision loss or eye problems
- More uric acid in blood
- Upper respiratory tract infections
- Fetal toxicity (when Benicar is used during pregnancy)
- Breakdown of muscle fibers that damages kidneys (rhabdomyolysis)
- Cardiovascular events
- Heart attack
List of Non-Serious Side Effects of Benicar
Dizziness is the most common side effect of Benicar, according to the Prescribing Information. It is also associated with a wide range of non-serious side effects, but these should be evaluated by a doctor if they become persistent or severe.
Benicar side effects that are not serious:
- Back pain
- Sore throat (bronchitis and pharyngitis)
- Increased creatine phosphokinase
- High blood-sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Blood in urine (hematuria)
- High triglycerides in blood
- Runny nose
- Sinus infection
- Chest pain
- Swelling in the legs (peripheral edema)
- Abdominal pain
- Fast heartbeat
- Muscle and joint pain
- High cholesterol
- High lipid levels in blood
- Facial swelling
- Hair loss
- And more
Do I have a Benicar Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Benicar injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know was diagnosed with sprue-like enteropathy, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Defective Drug Litigation Group or call us toll-free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.