November 19, 2014 — A case report published by MedPage Today describes a woman was seriously injured after accidentally eating a wire from a grill-cleaning brush.
The 55 year-old woman reported eating at a family BBQ. Soon after, she experienced sharp abdominal pain. After visiting the emergency department, doctors performed a CT scan and discovered a 7-mm wire lodged in her abdomen. Fortunately, they were able to remove the wire.
For the last two years, the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) has been investigating reports of injury from various brands of grill-cleaning brushes. They described six case reports, including two people who needed surgery. The most common symptom was sharp pain when swallowing and abdominal pain.
Recently, a slice of Domino’s Pizza that contained a wire from a grill-cleaning brush severely injured a man who needed surgery. When the local health department investigated, they found a worn-out brush was being used to clean oven racks.
Warning: Wires from grill-cleaning brushes can break off and get stuck in food on the grill.
Recommendation: Avoid using a grill-cleaning brush — instead use a moist cloth or paper towel to clean the grill. If you must use a grill-cleaning brush with wire bristles, inspect the surface of the grill very carefully before you cook food.
Do I have a Wire Grill Brush Injury Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting grill-cleaning brush bristle induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been injured by accidentally eating a wire in your food, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Accident & Personal Injury Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.