February 20, 2023 — A group of 5 lawsuits have been filed by people who lost their hearing after using Tepezza, a drug for thyroid eye disease that is sold by Horizon Therapeutics.
The lawsuits accuse Horizon of failing to warn patients and doctors about the potential risk of permanent hearing loss and tinnitus (ringing in the ears) from Tepezza.
These lawsuits include:
- In November 2022, a lawsuit was filed by Donna L., a woman from Arizona who lost her hearing after receiving Tepezza infusions from June 2020 through November 2020 — Case Number 1:22-cv-06375.
- In November 2022, a lawsuit was filed by Meredith A., a woman from Chicago, Illinois who suffered hearing loss and/or tinnitus after receiving Tepezza infusions from July 2021 through December 2021 — Case Number 22L010213.
- In December 2022, a lawsuit was filed by Andrea L., a woman from New York who now suffers from permanent hearing loss and/or tinnitus after receiving Tepezza infusions from July 2021 through October 2021 — Case Number 1:22-cv-06837.
- In December 2022, a lawsuit was filed by Cynthia W., a woman from Virginia who now suffers from permanent hearing loss and/or tinnitus after receiving Tepezza infusions from November 2020 through June 2021 — Case Number 1:22-cv-06838.
- In December 2022, a lawsuit was filed by John I., a man from Virginia who now suffers from permanent hearing loss and/or tinnitus after reciving Tepezza infusions from December 2020 through August 2021 — Case Number 1:22-cv-06836.
All of the lawsuits claim that Horizon Therapeutics knew or should have known about the risk of hearing loss.
For example, a 19-month post-marketing safety analysis of Tepezza found that approximately 10% of all cases reported to the safety database were hearing-related events. The most frequently-reported hearing event was hypoacusis (reduction in hearing) followed by tinnitus (ringing in the ears).
Furthermore, patients and doctors have reported serious complications related to hearing problems in patients taking Tepezza. These cases include many reports published in the medical literature.
The lawsuit claims that Horizon Therapeutics should have changed the label on Tepezza to address the risk of hearing injuries. By failing to do so, the company acted with “reckless disregard of human life, and of the safety of persons exposed to its dangerous drug,” according to the lawsuits.
Do I have a Tepezza Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Tepezza induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know was diagnosed hearing loss after using Tepezza, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Defective Drug Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.