The settlements were announced in April, just as the company reached an agreement for Coca-Cola to acquire a 16.7% stake. Terms of the settlements were not disclosed.
One of the victims, Alex Morris, was just 19 years old when he died of cardiac arrhythmia and cardiomyopathy after consuming two cans of Monster Energy every day for three years. The other victim, Shane Felts, died after drinking one can of Monster Energy for two weeks.
Monster is still facing a high-profile lawsuit filed on behalf of Anais Fournier, a 14 year-old girl who died after drinking two 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy in a 24-hour period in 2011. She had an underlying heart defect, but the coroner blamed her death on “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity.”
According to the WSJ, Monster Energy Corp. is still facing five product liability lawsuits. Two years ago, the company dismissed three lawsuits accusing the company of engaging in misleading marketing.
The label on each can of Monster Energy warns that it should not be consumed by children or pregnant women. However, the beverage is widely consumed by teenager and the company admits targeting their ads to 18- to 24-year-olds. According to the WSJ, the FDA has received hundred of adverse events involving energy drinks, including 40 reports of serious adverse events involving Monster Energy.
Do I have a Monster Energy Drink Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting energy drink induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been seriously injured or died after drinking Monster Energy, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Product Liability Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.