January 27, 2023 — A judge has awarded a $4 million payout to the family of a woman who died after eating Listeria-tainted ice cream from Big Olaf Creamery in Sarasota, Florida.
The woman, Mary Billman, was on vacation with her family when she ate a cup of ice cream from Big Olaf Creamery. Just days later, she fell seriously ill with an infection caused by Listeria bacteria. She died less than two weeks after eating the ice cream.
The $4 million award was decided by Judge William F. Jung after a hearing on January 20, 2023.
At least 28 people in 11 states were infected with Listeria after eating ice cream from Big Olaf Creamery, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The company never showed up in court to defend itself. According to health officials, 16 out of 17 samples from the facility tested positive for Listeria.
Health officials in Florida had been investigating Listeria issues at Big Olaf’s facility since spring 2022, but the company continued to sell ice cream until July 13, 2022, more than a month after the CDC warned people to throw out all of their products.
Do I have an Ice Cream Listeria Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Listeria induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know was diagnosed with Listeria after eating ice cream, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Food Poisoning Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.