The Los Angeles Times reports the outbreak began last month at UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center.
Approximately 179 patients were exposed, seven were infected, and two have died. They were all treated with a medical scope that has a unique “elevator channel” that is very difficult to clean.
According to the Times:
“These outbreaks are raising questions about whether hospitals, medical-device companies and regulators are doing enough to protect patient safety. Some consumer advocates are also calling for greater disclosure to patients of the increased risks for infection before undergoing these procedures.”
According to the FDA, cleaning the scope is a “a detailed, multi-step process,” and “[disinfecting] should reduce the risk of transmitting infection, but may not entirely eliminate it.”
The device is a duodenoscope, which is a long, flexible tube that is threaded down a patient’s mouth, throat, stomach, and intestines to treat gastrointestinal diseases like gallstones and cancer.
All of the patients were infected with Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE), which is a family of antibiotic-resistant germs that can cause deadly infections in 40-50% of victims.
The manufacturer of the scope, Olympus Corp., also reported that the Justice Department has been investigating them since 2011 for making improper payments to doctors and customers.
Do I have an Endoscope InfectionLawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting ERCP endoscope induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know was diagnosed with a CRE infection, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Defective Medical Device Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.