February 24, 2012 — Nemschoff Chairs, Inc., the manufacturer of a Perinatal Pediatric Hospital Bed (Bassinet), has issued a voluntary Class 1 recall of its product. Class 1 recalls are reserved for products that are an immediate danger of causing serious injury or death. It is possible that a baby could suffer head and neck injuries, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), broken bones, bone fractures, soft tissue injuries, and more.
The Nemschoff bassinet is a wheeled cart used to hold and transport infants in a pediatric hospital. On top of the cart, there is a bassinet and mattress used to hold the infant. The frame of the cart may contain drawers, shelves, or cabinetry. The cart is also equipped with wheels so the cart may be used for transportation of the infant throughout the hospital.
The manufacturer of the bassinet has warned of the following problems with the cart:
- Wheels (casters): Design problem that makes the bassinet difficult to maneuver, which could contribute to the injury of an infant or caregiver
- Door hinges on the cart’s frame (on BSNT/01 and BSNT/02): The door may open while the cart is in motion
- Drawer slides on the cart’s frame (on BSNT/01 and BSNT/02): The drawers may open while the cart is in motion
- Acrylic bassinet tub: Lacked instructions for proper cleaning. Furthermore, the tubs can crack or craze.
The following model numbers are affected by the recall:
- BSNT/01: Manufactured between 11/2003 – 02/2008
- BSNT/02: Manufactured between 11/2003 – 02/2008
- BSNT/03: Manufactured between 11/21/03 – present
- BSNT/04: Manufactured between 11/21/03 – present
Nemschoff, the manufacturer of the pediatric bassinet, sent an “Important Medical Correction” notice to all its clients who had purchased the affected product to notify them of the Class 1 recall. These recalls are reserved for situations in which there is a reasonable probability that the products can cause serious adverse health consequences or death.
Injuries that could be caused by a defective pediatric bassinet may include, but are not limited to:
- Head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Bone fractures
- Soft tissue injuries
Do I have a Pediatric Bassinet Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Pediatric Bassinet induced injury cases in all 50 states. If your infant or someone you know has been injured in a Pediatric Bassinet, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Pediatric Bassinet Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.