October 6, 2016 — Southwest Airlines evacuated a flight after a passenger’s replacement Samsung Galaxy Note7 smartphone overheated and started smoking before takeoff.
An airport spokesman said smoke was reported in the cabin at 9:15 a.m. on Flight 994 from Louisville to Baltimore. The incident occurred during the safety demonstration at the gate. No one was injured.
Brian Green said it was a new phone he got at an AT&T store on September 21 as a replacement for one that was recalled, according to The Verge.
Green said he powered down the Note7 as requested by crew-members and put it in his pocket. When it began smoking, he threw it on the floor and it burned a hole in the carpet. He said it was at 80% battery capacity and had only been charged wirelessly.
On September 15, Samsung recalled 2.5 million Note7 phones after 96 reports of batteries overheating in the United States, causing 26 burn injuries and 55 reports of property damage.
Samsung said it had not examined the phone and could not confirm that it was actually a replacement. The incident is also being investigated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) “strongly advises” passengers against using or charging the Note7 on planes, or stowing it in checked baggage. No airlines have banned the Note7, but smartphone battery fires are very hard to extinguish.
Do I have a Samsung Note7 Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Samsung Note7 induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been burned, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Product Liability Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.