Mexican health authorities have recalled Reumofan Plus and Reumofan Plus Premium, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recently published a warning that these “natural” dietary supplements actually contain several potentially harmful pharmaceutical drugs. The FDA has received dozens of injury reports, including stroke and death.
What You Can Do & How a Reumofan Lawsuit Can Help
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Reumofan induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been injured by Reumofan, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Dangerous Drug Litigation Group or call us toll-free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
UPDATE: Who Is Riger Naturals?
October 4, 2013 — A USA Today investigation has been unable to locate Riger Naturals, the Mexican manufacturer of Reumofan, Reumofan Plus, and “WOW.” Investigators warn that the company uses fake names and addresses and lies about the ingredients in their product. The FDA has received over 60 adverse event reports involving these supplements, including 3 deaths and 7 life-threatening adverse events. Click here to read more.
December 20, 2012 — The FDA has published another warning because Reumofan and Reumofan Plus have been re-branded as the supplement “WOW” with the same dangerous prescription drug ingredients. Click here to read more.
August 21, 2012 — The FDA has issued a new warning on Reumofan Plus and Reumofan Plus Premium. The products are sold as “natural” dietary supplements, but they actually contain pharmaceutical drugs that are not listed on the label. The FDA has received dozens of adverse event reports, including death and stroke. Other reports include liver injury, severe bleeding, sudden worsening of blood sugar control, weight gain, swelling, leg cramps, withdrawal, and adrenal suppression.
What is Reumofan?
Reumofan Plus and Reumofan Plus Premium are two products marketed as “natural” dietary supplements for treating arthritis, muscle pain, osteoporosis, bone cancer, and other conditions. Unfortunately, the products are not “natural” — they contain several potentially harmful active pharmaceutical ingredients.
Pharmaceutical ingredients in Reumofan include:
- Dexamethasone: An anti-inflammatory corticosteroid that suppresses a person’s immune system, which may reduce their ability to fight off infections. It may also cause high blood sugar, adrenal suppression, bone and muscle injuries, and psychiatric problems. Suddenly discontinuing this drug after using it after long-term use or at high doses can cause withdrawal symptoms — dizziness, fever, muscle and joint pain, fatigue, nausea, and more.
- Diclofenac sodium: A non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that may increase the risk of heart attack, stroke, gastrointestinal bleeding, ulcers, and perforation of the stomach or intestines.
- Methocarbamol: A muscle-relaxant that may cause sedation, low blood pressure, and dizziness that could impair ability to operate a vehicle or machinery.
These pharmaceutical ingredients may also have harmful interactions with other medications that a person is taking.
What’s the problem?
June 1, 2012 — Health officials in Mexico have recalled Reumofan due to potentially harmful pharmaceutical ingredients. They are warning that customers should not buy or start taking this supplement. People who are currently using Reumofan or recently stopped using Reumofan should immediately consult a physician.
Reumofan is labeled in Spanish or English and manufactured in Mexico by Riger Naturals. The product is sold at some retail stores, flea markets, and some websites on the internet.
Although Mexican health authorities recalled Reumofan, the FDA continues to receive reports of serious injuries. This suggests that Reumofan is still being sold and used by people who are unaware of the serious side effects.
Reumofan Side Effects
The FDA has warned that the pharmaceutical ingredients in Reumofan may cause the following side effects:
- Reduced ability to fight infections
- High blood sugar
- Bone and muscle injuries
- Psychiatric problems
- Adrenal suppression
- Withdrawal syndrome (fatigue, nausea, low blood pressure, low blood sugar, fever, dizziness, muscle and joint pain)
- Cardiovascular problems
- Heart attack
- Intestinal bleeding
- Perforation of the stomach / intestines
- Low blood pressure
- Impaired ability to drive a vehicle or operate machinery
Do I have a Reumofan Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Reumofan induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been injured by Reumofan, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Dangerous Drug Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.