October 1, 2015 — The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is recalling 1.3 million bikes made since 1998 because the quick-release lever on the front wheel can hit the disc brakes and cause the wheel to stop suddenly or break.
Three incidents have been reported in which the front wheel stopped or detached from the bike. One incident caused a man to suffer a broken finger, injuries to his wrist and shoulder, and abrasions.
In April 2015, Trek recalled about 1 million bicycles sold in the U.S. and Canada due to the same problem. Three incidents were reported, including one resulting in quadriplegia, one resulting in facial injuries, and another resulting in a fractured wrist.
Recalls have been announced by 13 more bicycle manufacturers. The CPSC asks owners to check to see if their bike is part of the recall:
“When the front [quick-release lever] QR is fully opened, if there is less than 6 mm — or the width of a #2 pencil — between the QR and disk brake rotor on the wheel, the bicycle is included in this recall.”
Bicycles included in the recall:
- Accel North America (Diamondback, Raleigh) 2004-2015
- Advanced Sports International (Breezer, Fuji, SE) 2005-2015
- Cycling Sports Group (Cannondale, GT) 1998-2015
- Felt Racing (Felt) 2006-2015
- G. Joannou Cycle (Jamis) 2005-2015
- Giant Bicycle (Giant) 2003-2004
- Haro Bikes (Haro) 2000-2015
- LTP Sports Group (Norco) 2000-2015
- Performance Bicycle (Access) 2009-2015
- Quality Bicycle Products (Civia Cycles) 2008-2012
- REI (Novara) 2002-2015
- Ridley Bikes (Ridley) 2014-2015
- Specialized Bicycle Components (Specialized) 2002-2015
Do I have a Bike Accident Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting bicycle induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been injured on a defective bicycle, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Product Liability Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.