March 20, 2014 — Abbott Diabetes Care and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have issued a recall for the FreeStyle and FreeStyle Flash Blood Glucose Meters.
Abbott previously recalled test strips used with the blood-sugar meters in November 2013, but did not recall the meters until February 19, 2014.
The meters can produce inaccurately low blood-sugar readings, which could result in serious injury to a person with type-2 diabetes. The FreeStyle Blood Glucose Meters have not been sold since 2010. The recall does not affect any other blood-sugar meters from Abbott.
Abbott has provided the following recommendations for people with meters affected by the recall:
- Immediately contact Abbott Diabetes Care at 1-888-345-5364 to obtain a replacement meter.
- If you have access to an alternative glucose meter, immediately discontinue use of the affected meter and take the necessary steps to continue to monitor your blood sugar with the alternative meter.
- If the only meter available to you is an affected meter, continue to test your blood glucose as recommend by your doctor while you wait for your replacement meter. When using an affected meter, take the following precautions to reduce the chance of a false reading:
- As stated in the product insert, perform a quality control solution test to confirm that your meter is working correctly. Do not use a test strip vial if control solution results are not within the expected range.
- Contact your health care provider immediately if your blood glucose result(s) are not consistent with your diabetes history, how you feel, or if you think your results are not accurate (higher or lower than expected). Symptoms of high blood sugar include excessive thirst, excessive urination, blurred vision, weakness, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms or are not feeling well, contact your health care professional immediately.
Do I have a FreeStyle Blood Glucose Meter Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting FreeStyle or FreeStyle Flash blood-sugar meter induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been injured by an inaccurate blood-sugar reading, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Product Liability & Defective Medical Device Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.