May 12, 2021 — A woman who was burned when she opened the lid on her Instant Pot Pressure Cooker has filed a lawsuit against the manufacturer.
The lawsuit was filed by Lucy P., 57, a woman from Utah who purchased a brand-new Instant Pot Nova 60 Pressure Cooker on November 11, 2018.
Less than a year later, on April 25, 2019, she claims she suffered “serious and substantial burn injuries” when hot food, liquid and steam exploded out of her Instant Pot when she opened the lid.
Her lawsuit accuses Instant Brands Inc., the manufacturer of the Instant Pot, of selling a defective pressure cooker with “safety mechanisms” that failed to keep her safe.
Specifically, the Instant Pot was advertised to prevent explosions of scalding-hot food by locking the lid until all of the pressure was released. Furthermore, the Instant Pot was not supposed to build up pressure unless the lid was properly locked.
Instead, she claims she was able to easily twist open the lid when there was still a dangerous amount of pressure inside the pot. This caused its “scalding hot contents to be forcefully ejected from the pressure cooker” and onto her body, resulting in serious burns.
The Instant Pot Lawsuit was filed against Instant Brands Inc. on April 16, 2021 in the U.S. District Court (District of Utah) — Case Number 2:21-cv-00229-JNP.
Do I have an Instant Pot Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Instant Pot Pressure Cooker induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been burned by a pressure cooker that exploded hot food, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Product Liability Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.