July 28, 2022 — Dole Fresh Vegetables Inc. has recalled certain salads that were distributed in 4 states because they may contain hairy nightshade, a poisonous plant.
The recall involves Simply Nature Organic Spring Mix and Walmart’s Marketside Spring Mix that were distributed to stores in Ohio, Illinois, Indiana and Tennessee, according to the FDA Enforcement Report.
The specific products affected by the recall include:
- 11 oz. Marketside Spring Mix: W167011 with BIUB: 6/30/2022
- 5 oz. Marketside Spring Mix: W16709A and W16709B with BIUB: 6/29/2022
- 16 oz. Simply Nature Organic Spring Mix: W167011 with BIUB: 6/30/2022
- 16 oz. Simply Nature Organic Spring Mix: W168011 with BIUB: 7/01/2022
Nightshades contain several compounds that can be toxic to humans.
According to the Colorado State University Guide to Poisonous Plants, nightshades contain toxins that can cause nervous system side effects, irritants that can cause salivation and diarrhea. Nightshades can also accumulate toxic levels of nitrate.
The website lists some of the severe symptoms linked to nightshade exposure, including:
- Gastrointestinal: Excess salivation, colic, diarrhea
- Musculoskeletal: Muscle tremors and weakness
- Cardiovascular: Slow heart rate, decreased cardiac output, shock, coma, and death
- Respiratory: Labored breathing
- Nervous: Depression, drowsiness, muscle tremors, incoordination.
- Renal: Kidney failure.
- Ocular: Dilated pupils
Do I have a Dole Salad Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Dole salad induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been diagnosed with symptoms of nightshade poisoning after eating Dole Simply Nature or Walmart Marketside salad, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Food Poisoning Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.