December 15, 2020 — An outbreak of food poisoning has sickened 159 people who ate sushi at two Harris Teeter stores in Concord, North Carolina.
Health officials with the Cabarrus Health Alliance initially reported that “more than 10 individuals” had fallen ill as of November 20. Five days later, news reports confirmed that the outbreak had infected 159 people.
The outbreak was linked to two Harris Teeter grocery stores located on George W. Liles Parkway and Concord Parkway North. The sick people ate sushi from AFC sushi kiosks between November 13 and November 19, 2020.
Shopper loyalty card records show that 429 households purchased the sushi during that time period. Furthermore, store records show that another 107 customers bought the sushi without store cards.
Health officials did not confirm what type of infection the sick people developed, but many of the victims had symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, fever, muscle aches, and abdominal cramps.
In March 2020, AFC sushi kiosks in 40 states recalled shrimp sushi due to a risk of bacteria infections with Vibrio parahaemolyticus. The infection can cause severe gastrointestinal symptoms.
In recent years, sushi has also been linked to two big outbreaks of Salmonella. In both outbreaks, the outbreak was linked to imported tuna.
Do I have a Sushi Food Poisoning Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting sushi induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been diagnosed with Salmonella, Vibrio, or another type of food poisoning infection after eating sushi, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Food Poisoning Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.