July 15, 2020 — At least a dozen lawsuits have been filed against Fresh Express and several grocery stores by people who were infected with Cyclospora parasites after eating bagged salads.
One of the most recent salad Cyclospora lawsuits was filed by a man from Illinois who was infected with the parasite after eating a salad from Jewel-Osco.
He soon began suffering from diarrhea, abdominal pain, bloating and nausea due to the infection. He was also hospitalized for 6 days at Elmhurst Memorial Hospital in a suburb of Chicago.
At least 11 other lawsuits have been filed against Fresh Express, and it is likely that many more will be filed in the coming weeks. More than 500 people have been infected with Cyclospora in the Midwest.
This is not the first time Fresh Express has been linked to Cyclospora in salad — there was another major outbreak in 2018 linked to salads at McDonald’s with iceberg lettuce and carrots.
Similarly, the 2018 Cyclospora outbreak was linked to the Fresh Express facility in Streamwood, Illinois. McDonald’s responded by changing their salad supplier.
A total of 511 people were infected with Cyclospora, including 24 people who were hospitalized in 15 states. Numerous lawsuits were filed by the victims.
Do I have a Cyclospora Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, PLLC is currently accepting Cyclospora induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been diagnosed with a Cyclospora infection after eating salad, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Food Poisoning Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.